Monday, April 26, 2010

How much misery can you cram into one ride?


I was NOT having good luck on today's ride. The plan was to be out the door at 10am and back home (well, actually sitting at Jersey Mike's refueling) by 1pm. The route we mapped out was approximately 50 miles and included the Stage 8 route from the Tour of California. Three miles into the ride I got a flat. We fixed and and agreed that continuing with only one spare tube was a recipe for disaster. Turn around... head to the bike shop and pick up two more tubes.

So we're back on track and already added an extra five miles to our trip. Another 8 miles into the ride I flat again. Fix it. Onward. Another two miles and another flat, this time on the front tire. You've gotta be kidding me. At that point I was ready to call it quits and head home. But no... pushing onward.

Tires are good but then we hit the Rock Store climb and Donna starts looking behind her, wondering if she lost her legs somewhere.

It was so much warmer today than what we've been used to and the heat is taking a toll. Then, around mile 45 I get another flat tire. We're out of tubes at this point, so I take Donna's back wheel, put it on my bike, and ride home to get the car. Half a mile into the last leg I realize my chain doesn't like Donna's cassette and I'm left riding uphill, into a headwind, with essentially only one gear that I can use, and it's almost the hardest gear the bike has to offer.

Seriously!

Sent from my iPad

No comments: